Student Conduct and Academic Integrity is committed to cultivating an atmosphere of civility and respect among our students; this will in turn foster an environment conducive to academic success and personal development.
Under the terms of the Student Code of Conduct, students and registered student organizations (RSO) are extended rights, but also assume many responsibilities. For a student or RSO to succeed at VCU, they must know and understand this policy and live or operate within the parameters of the Student Code of Conduct and other university policies.
Each student shall be responsible for their conduct from the time of application for admission through the actual awarding of their degree. The Student Code of Conduct shall apply to student conduct even if the student withdraws from school while a disciplinary matter is pending.
VCU Creed: Philosophy for a University Community
Academic institutions exist, among other reasons, to discover, advance, and transmit knowledge and to develop in their students, faculty, and staff the capacity for creative and critical thought. At Virginia Commonwealth University, members of the community should strive to exemplify the following specific ideals in addition to other worthy ideals:
• To demonstrate academic and personal integrity.
• To respect the rights and property of others.
• To be open to others’ opinions.
• To uphold academic freedom and freedom of intellectual inquiry.
• To appreciate diversity and to value and learn from the uniqueness of each person.
• To uphold the right of all persons to be treated with dignity and respect.
• To demonstrate and respect intellectual courage in situations that demand it.
Students and RSO are encouraged to engage in responsible social conduct that reflects credit upon the University community and to model good citizenship in any community. Students and RSO should not remain passively in the presence of violations and are encouraged to notify the proper authorities if they observe or have knowledge of other students or RSO violating this policy.