The Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity is committed to cultivating an atmosphere of civility and respect among our students; this will in turn foster an environment conducive to academic success and personal development.
Under the terms of the Virginia Commonwealth University Student Code of Conduct students are extended rights, but also assume many responsibilities. For a student to succeed at VCU, they must know and understand this policy, and live within the parameters of the Student Code of Conduct and other the other university policies.
Each student shall be responsible for his/her conduct from the time of application for admission through the actual awarding of their degree (and even if conduct is not discovered until after a degree is awarded). The Student Code of Conduct shall apply to student conduct even if the student withdraws from school while a disciplinary matter is pending.
VCU Creed: Philosophy for a University Community
Academic institutions exist, among other reasons, to discover, advance and transmit knowledge and to develop in their students, faculty and staff the capacity for creative and critical thought. At Virginia Commonwealth University, members of the community should strive to exemplify the following specific ideals in addition to other worthy ideals:
• To demonstrate academic and personal integrity.
• To respect the rights and property of others.
• To be open to others’ opinions.
• To uphold academic freedom and freedom of intellectual inquiry.
• To appreciate diversity and to value and learn from the uniqueness of each person.
• To uphold the right of all persons to be treated with dignity and respect and to refrain from all forms of intimidation, harassment and illegal discrimination.
• To demonstrate and respect intellectual courage in situations that demand it.
Students are required to engage in responsible social conduct that reflects credit upon the University community and to model good citizenship in any community.